Georgian residents may not be aware of the fact that they are surrounded by potentially toxic chemicals that are quite common in most households. From rashes to shock, just what sort of ill effects can these substances have on the human body?
Cleveland Clinical has a list of outdoor chemicals that can pose a serious threat to the body. The chemicals that are kept in the garage or outside are generally stronger than the ones used indoors. Everything from antifreeze to paint and paint thinner can be considered extremely dangerous. They can leave a person with intense chemical burns, extreme skin irritation or even nerve damage in some cases. Toxic fumes from some products can cause dizziness, blindness, or unconsciousness. If ingested, items like windshield washer fluid or antifreeze can damage a person’s internal organs. In extreme cases, these substances may even cause death.
The chemicals indoors, while not necessarily as strong, can also be hazardous. The Global Healing Center says that many cleaning products can cause similar health issues as outdoor chemicals. Common household items such as drain cleaners, dish detergent, and even air fresheners can all cause contact rashes, confusion, or internal damage if ingested. The chemicals in cleaning products such as toilet or oven cleaners can be particularly corrosive and requires immediate medical attention if swallowed, as unconsciousness, permanent internal damage, or death may follow.
Some people may not be aware of the fact that certain chemicals are dangerous just through skin contact, and the labels may not accurately indicate their danger level. It is best to wear gloves and do research on the products you use before cleaning, just to be sure they are safe.